Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Moving Sale Outcome

The moving/yard sale was a success and a lesson in humanity. People were ringing the doorbell at 7 am to start shopping and had to be reminded the sale started at 9. I labeled them the vultures. There was a line at the gate waiting for 9 am and we managed to get set up in time. Everything was a negotiation. If it was $1 they offered .50, having sold on commission for years it was comical to me how much people would try to undercut the price. I even had a few that were rude. One guy told me he was going to pay $5 for a weed whacker and when I told him $7, he handed me a $5 bill. Then asked if he could he plug it in to test it and I said only if he had paid the $7 for it and walked away.

Saturday was busy and productive even though it was only about 40 degrees, 2 days earlier it was almost 70 degrees. I think we would have done even better if it had been warmer. Sunday was even colder and it rained midday effectively ending the sale. We brought everything inside and staged it in the rec room. By 5 pm there had been less than 15 people all day and we were all thoroughly exhausted. I’m going to have to figure out how we are going to clear the house of the remaining stuff. I either have to have another garage sale, sell it on craigslist or donate it.

None of the large items were sold so I guess it’s back to craigslist and featuring the dressers and dining room set. I found that the only thing I was attached to was the dining room set. The rest of it could go and I was happy to see it leave. Having strangers walking through the house was also a new experience. The paintings and items that were marked sold (to protect them) were the ones that people seemed to zone in on.

No comments:

Post a Comment