Monday, March 29, 2010

Moving Sale

With the help of some really good friends, I have been discovering all of the stuff that occupies this house. I am far from finished but it’s been a good start. It’s been daily 8 to 12 hours a day of going though and deciding what I will keep and what will go. Some of it, which I will call dead relatives’ stuff, has probably been the toughest to get through, partly because of memories and mostly because there is so much of it. Thankfully, these good friends don’t allow me to get bogged down in sentimentality. They have kept me moving through it all.

It was decided last Sunday to have this sale, like almost everything recently once a decision is made it is acted upon immediately. So with less than a week to prepare I have been playing catch up. The girls have been as helpful as their schedules allow which is not enough time. Can I really ask for more when one is giving an award to a Jordanian Judge and having dinner with the UN undersecretary? Or the other is going to school fulltime, doing spring track and studying for her computer certification? We are all feeling the pressure of late and we are all tired but we still manage to support one another. It’s at times like these that I realize that I am surrounded by amazing and wonderful people.

The sale has made me a bit nervous, I could have been downsizing for the past year but didn’t have the energy to do the work. Now there is no choice but to get it done and maybe that is the best way. It is overwhelming to make so many decisions about the things you have accumulated over a lifetime. Then to put a price on their worth is another matter that I found difficult. Queche which is her Peruvian name has been a Godsend, since we went to catholic school together I can’t think of any other way to describe her. She has an antique business and she has been here almost every day guiding me through the process and pricing things. There is no way I could have done this without her.

Another friend has given me her weekends and has waded through this mess with me. We have been friends for over 25 years and we have had quite a few adventures together. We have supported one another through raising our kids, health issues and divorce.

They will both be by my side this weekend when the hordes of shoppers come. Yesterday as I was running around shredding papers and clearing out my office, the doorbell rang and it was an early bird shopper wanting to look around. I was dumbfounded, and let her in to my home which is a mess. She started going through stuff and I realized that I had made a mistake. Fortunately, I was saved by a phone call from my daughter which helped to get this woman out of my house. I consider myself a pretty strong person but this caught me completely off guard and I’m amazed that I let this woman control the situation.

Well, I’m learning a lot about myself and for the most part, I like who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment